While a beautiful flower bed, colourful indoor arrangement or healthy cluster of pot plants gives us humans much joy, for our pets these plants can be the cause of serious illness. Many common indoor and outdoor plants and cut flowers are quite toxic to pets, causing a range of issues from skin irritations to vomiting and even death.
Daffodils, aloe vera, poinsettias and azaleas can have a devastating effect on cats and dogs. Lilies are particularly dangerous. Curious cats have been known to die after eating lilies – all parts of this plant are very hazardous to cats.
If you think your pet has come into contact with a toxic plant, of course get her to the vet immediately. Signs of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions, walking difficulties and weakness. If you know which plant she ate, it’s also a good idea to take a sample with you so the vet can identify it and treat accordingly.
Here are some common plants that are toxic to animals. This list, however, isn’t extensive. Your vet will be able to provide you with a much more comprehensive one.
- Lilies (such as day, easter, glory, japanese show, peace, rubrum, stargaszer, tiger and wood lilies) – they can cause vomiting, inflammation of the stomach and renal failure
- Bulbs such as daffodil, jonquil and tulips – can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach, lethargy, shock and kidney failure.
- Chrysanthemums – can cause a rash
- Aloe vera – vomiting and diarrhoea
- Azalea – muscle paralysis
- Mother-in-law’s tongue